Saturday, February 12, 2011

Changes to come........



Well things have been insanely crazy around here so I have not had a chance to post in a few days. Honestly, I do not know how all of you raising children, working full time and running a household have time to also blog daily. I'm lucky if I can remember to take something out for dinner each day much less write a blog insert!!
But anyway.......
So last week was really busy for me. I worked 12 straight days without a day off. I was just returning from being out after having the cisteriogram then had to work home builder show all weekend and then finished my 12 day stretch with a very busy week at work. See I was trying to tie up all my loose ends, make sure all clients and builders were happy and content because today I leave for MEXICO for 6 days!!!! I am so excited just to get away and relax with my family (my parents, sister, brother in law and niece), kids and most importantly my husband, since he has been gone for 3 weeks. Man.. have I missed him!!:)
But what I really want to share with you is my visit to my neurologist last week.
I really like Dr. S, he is great!! A little weird and his one front tooth moves up and down, in and out of his mouth making it hard to focus on what he is saying, but he is great!!! So this is my first visit to him since the whole needle jabbing ordeal a few weeks ago. He starts by asking how things went and I give him and quick, but necessary run down. Then he begins his neurological exam. I explain to him that my right arm has been acting a little funny. Not the kind of funny that it's standing up telling jokes funny, but the kind of funny that when i try to pick something up my hand suddenly goes numb and I tend to drop whatever it was I was holding (usually on my foot - which my foot DOES not think is funny!!). I also can not fully extend my arm because when I do I get a awful shooting pain into the right side of my head and through my neck.
So his diagnosis: "Severe nerve damage in brain has caused it to radiate down into my right side limbs", this means that eventually I will loose complete feeling in my right arms and eventually my right leg. He also noticed that I have some "droopage" in the right side of my face. Furthermore supporting his nerve damage theory. So what to do for now: limit the use of my right arm. Personally I do not see how this is possible as I am right handed, drive a stick shift with my right arm and virtually everything else I do is done with this particular limb. What can I say it's a habit. Well that or a God given trait!
He also decided to go ahead and put me back on 250 mg of diamox 2x daily along with potassium supplements so that my hands, feet and face to not completely go numb due to this medication sucking all of the potassium out of my already damaged body. Well if you know anything about diamox, it acts as a lasic which means I spend more time going potty than anyone thought was humanly possible. I have been on this medication before so I already knew what to expect, which is nice.
Whats not so nice is this is most likely only a temporary fix. My team of physicians (yes team - when you are me you have the privilege of getting an entire team assigned to you!! whoop whoop!!) are giving one final attempt at the medication route before they opt for a Ventricular shunt (the fluid will be drained from the brain into the peritoneal cavity or belly or into a chamber in the heart from the brain). Since, as many of you might of guessed, I am not thrilled about the idea of them inserting a large draining tube throughout my body, so for now I will take the medication and pray to God that this time it will work alot better so I do not have to endure the 8 hour surgery.
But honestly, all joking aside... I fully put my trust in the Lord and know that what is His will , will be done!! I may eventually not have the use of my right arm, my face may look a little distorted and hey I may even get a large drainage tube with access sight that looks like Frankenstein, but I will never loose my faith. I know there is a reason that God has chosen me to endure this. I have complete and utmost faith that He has put me in the situation for a reason. He has a plan!! and I am OK with that, I am OK with knowing that what I go through each and every day has a reason and a purpose and when the time is right He will reveal to me what that is.
God is so good even on our worst days. He never gives up on us, never abandons us and never leaves us to figure things out all alone. He has been and will continue to walk beside me and guide me on this journey, as long as I put my trust in Him.

" The Lord gives His people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace" Psalm 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment