Saturday, March 5, 2011

Conditions.. Conditions.. Conditions...

A couple months ago I happened to meet this very fascinating Neurosurgeon resident at the local hospital where I was undergoing some tests. (Yes, LV I am referring to you! :)) Being young, eager and not yet  hardened by a heavy workload and long exhausting hours she is intrigued by my conditions. (Although, she was not humored by my suggestion of the possibility of me being the first brain transplant recipient.)
Yes, I said conditions. In case I have not said this before or went into great detail let me explain a little. I have a  rare type of Brain tumor known as a Arachnoid Cyst. Below is an actual picture of my brain showing the AC.


Condition #1: Arachnoid cysts are cerebrospinal fluid-filled sacs that are located between the brain or spinal cord and the arachnoid membrane, one of the three membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. Arachnoid cysts around the spinal cord compress the spinal cord or nerve roots and cause symptoms such as progressive back and leg pain and tingling or numbness in the legs or arms. They constitute for approximately 1% of intracranial masses.
However, mine is a little more unique because mine is not between the brain and spinal cord. The largest one I have is located in the Empty Sella of the brain with it's roots embedded into my pituitary gland (this causes my head to swell severely on the right side because my pituitary is now displaced). The second and third ones are located at the base of my skull, close to the tip of my spinal cord. Therefore, making it harder to correctly diagnose and even harder to treat. Typical symptoms of an arachnoid cyst around the brain include severe headaches, nausea and vomiting, seizures, hearing and visual disturbances, vertigo,  difficulties with balance and walking, memory loss, confusion and mood swings. Untreated, arachnoid cysts may cause permanent severe neurological damage when progressive expansion of the cyst(s) or bleeding into the cyst injures the brain .

Condition #2: Intercrainal Hypertension
Increased intracranial pressure can be due to a rise in cerebrospinal fluid pressure. It can also be due to increased pressure within the brain matter caused by a mass (such as a tumor), bleeding into the brain, fluid around the brain, or swelling within the brain matter itself.
Cerebrospinal fluid is one of three major components inside the skull; the other two are the blood supply (the arteries and veins known as the vasculature) that the brain requires to function and the brain itself. Under normal circumstances, these components work together in a delicate balance. A pressure and volume relationship exists between CSF, the brain and the vasculature. But since the skull is made of bone and cannot expand, an increase in the volume of any one component is at the expense of the other two components. For example, if the brain swells and becomes enlarged, it simultaneously compresses blood vessels, causing the sub-arachnoid space to fill with more spinal fluid. This results in an increase in intracranial pressure (i.e. cerebrospinal fluid pressure), as well as a decrease in blood flow.
CSF has several important functions. It cushions the brain within the skull, transports nutrients to brain tissue and carries waste away. CSF is produced at a site within the brain called the choroid plexus, which generates about 400-500 ml. (one pint) of the fluid each day or approximately 0.3 cc per minute. (The total volume of CSF in the skull at any given time is around 140 ml. That means the body produces, absorbs and replenishes the total volume of CSF about 3-4 times daily.)
An increase in intracranial pressure is a serious medical problem. The pressure itself can damage the brain or spinal cord by pressing on important brain structures and by restricting blood flow into the brain. If the increased pressure pushes on important brain structures and blood vessels, it can lead to serious, permanent problems or even death.
In order to determine if your CSF is elevated you have to have frequent pressure checks. My last one came in at 245. It's my understanding that for my size and age I should be around 180. While those two numbers do not seem to far apart in the spinal fluid measuring world there's a huge gap.


Condition #3 Bulging Disk
A bulging disk is a condition related to the spine, usually the lumbar, or lower back, that occurs when a disk bulges through a crevice in the spine.  Although, mine are at the base of my neck located at C-5 and C-6. Disks are the soft, gelatinous material that cushions the vertebrae of the spine. A bulging disk occurs when the disk shifts out of its normal radius and most often occurs simply as a result of age.
A bulging disk is different from a herniated disk in that a bulging disk typically occurs gradually over time rather than suddenly. A herniated disk is often the result of an injury or trauma to the spine. In the majority of patients who experience a bulging disk, there is no pain unless the disk becomes herniated or protrudes into a nerve.
Well you guessed it, mine are caused by the increased pressure and impinge upon nerves therefore causing lots of neck pain and tightness.

Sounds fun right? Well let me assure you that I can think of several other ways to describe fun!
So with the combination of the CSF pressure and the AC, LV  was ecstatic to see that I have started a blog giving a little insight into what it is like living a day in  my shoes. I am hoping with her help and the help of others that technology will advance and relief will soon be on the horizon for people like me. I know what you are thinking, is that possible?? People like you?? Well, people with either one of these conditions.
So thank you in advance LV for your help and your support. Thank you for taking an interest and most of all thank you to all of you who follow along.
God Bless!!

1 comment:

  1. I don't always comment, but I do always pray with renewed vigor after each blog entry you make. Your strength and courage are admirable amidst all your struggles, but it is your faith that truly inspires me. Thank you for sharing these details when you find the time & for reminding me to trust in God whatever the circumstance.

    ReplyDelete