Thursday, June 23, 2011

LP Shunt


So Tuesday was the BIG visit with the Neurosurgeon. I have to say the overall the news was very encouraging!! Given my current vision, which is basically none in my right eye, the decision to do a lumbar shunt was made, within the next week. The encouraging part: No skull drilling, no head shaving, less recovery time and the duration of surgery is significantly less.
So what does this mean???
Well, they will insert the "catheter" like tube and silicone mechanism you see above into my lower spine area. It will have a larger tube, at the other end,  that will then drain the excess CSF fluid into my abdominal cavity, where it will be absorbed. The control valve, which has 5 settings,  will be placed under the skin next to my spine and can be adjusted with a magnet, if needed. Three small incisions (spine, side and abdomen),  hour to two hour surgery and a few days in hospital! All good news.
The tough part will be the days to follow coming home. For 10 days I will not be able to do anything at all. (If you know me then you know that this part is going to be extremely tough.) The reason for this is to allow your body to adjust to the new CSF pressure. They will set the drainage to a medium level, to begin with and it must stay there for about 30 days. If I am not feeling any relief after the first 30 days then they can adjust the drainage, in office, with the magnet.
The worst part of this is I can expect to have what is called a low pressure headache for the first few weeks. This is considered normal. Painful but normal. This is caused from the drop in CSF pressure levels and can be unbearable.
The brain normally sits inside a “bag” filled with spinal fluid which extends down from the skull into the spine. The “bag” consists of membranes called the meninges (as in meningitis). The CSF fluid helps to circulate waste products out of the brain and provides cushioning and support. When the pressure of this fluid is too low, the brain may “sag” downward when the patient is upright, stretching the meninges and nerves lining the brain and causing SEVERE pain.
These are the same type of "headaches" I get after a spinal tap and from what he said, until my body gets accustomed to the lower pressure, I will have a continual "spinal" headache. This is the part I am not looking forward to the most.
There are of course risks and complications as there are with any surgery, but I really think the benefits out weigh them at this point.
However, I know that once I get over the initial "hump" things should increasingly get better. The goal is to have my vision be somewhat restored and the daily pain subside.
I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful support system, whom I could not get through the day to day without. I know that with them and God by my side I will be able to survive those first painful days and I look forward to a much brighter future ahead.

1 comment: