Friday, January 28, 2011

Repost: Prayer Request

I have decided that I am going to share a prayer request post I put on Facebook about a year ago. I posted this after speaking with the terrified mother of a 13 year old boy who was about to undergo a very lengthy brain surgery. I know some of you have already read this once, but I wanted to re-post it as a reminder of the need for continual prayers for this family. I coincidentally found out later that he made it through the surgery and as of a few months ago was doing great. However, he's future is unknown as the type of cyst / tumor we have has a tendency to return at a moments notice and complications can last a lifetime.
Thank you to all of you who lifted "Austin" and his family up in prayer!!

I have not been able to sleep the last few nights, because their is something that is weighing very heavily on my heart.
As most of you already know, I have had to have two brain surgery's in the last seven years. As a result of this, I am listed as a resource, for those who have the same type of tumor I had, with the National Brain Tumor Society and the Neurosurgeon's office, who preformed my last surgery, in 2007.
I received a call from a mother in distress on Thursday night. Her 13 year old son, Austin, has a Arachnoid Tumor, 6cm in size, located on his brain stem. The size and location of the tumor is causing paralysis of the right size of his face, twitching, deafness in his right ear, severe headaches, mood swings, blurred vision, speech complications and much more. He has had to deal with these side effects for almost a year, as there is not a Neurosurgeon who will preform such a tedious, time consuming and life threatening surgery until he is 14 years old. He turns 14 on Monday, August 3rd, and will have the 14-16 hour surgery on Tuesday, August 4th. They will have to remain away from their home for almost 13 weeks, due to post-op testing and follow up visits.
As I spoke with this mother, in length, Thursday evening, I could not help but feel her pain. As a mother myself, knowing the pain, fear and anxiety I felt as I faced my own surgery, I could not imagine having to watch one of my children go thru the same thing.
I gave her the basic run down of what to expect, as I do all those who call me looking for advice, asking questions or just in need of a listening ear.
However, she was different than all of the others, she was the MOTHER OF A CHILD who was facing the unknown. She had no idea of the physical pain he is feeling, she is just hurting for her baby.
She told me I was the third "resource" she had spoken with this week and by far my recovery time and outlook on life was definitely the most encouraging. I responded with the fact that I did not "get here" all alone, I had the support and prayers of a lot of people along the way, but most importantly I have my FAITH. Yes, some days are more difficult and painful to face than others, but if you do it with a smile on your face and God by your side, it makes those "days" more bearable.
I advised her to always asses Austin's feelings and get his input on the so called "advice" she would receive from the doctors, in the years to come. While this type of tumor/cyst is listed on the National Organization of Rare Disorder list (NORD), do not let that dictate how he will continue to live his life. Too many times I have been told to quit my job and collect disability, by these "doctors" because I am " in fact eligible". While I may be "eligible" and so may Austin, in years to come, this is not the way I want to live my life and I am sure it's not the expectations of this child's future either.
I told her to follow the doctor's post-op orders to a T (unfortunately I learned this one the hard way), don't rush the healing process (again learned the hard way), what she could expect after surgery and other bits of advice that I had to offer from my own experience. But the two most important things I could tell her were:
1) He is going to need you now more than he has ever needed anyone in his whole life. Austin will need to lean on you for support and will rely on you for all of the things he will not be able to do himself. Then I apologized , in advance, for all of the ugly things he may say to her. I tell you this, because I can not tell you how many times I had (have) to apologize to my husband for being "ugly", when he was just trying to help. "I know you are helping me wash, blow dry and straighten my hair - but you are doing it all wrong!" Boy was I ugly!
2) I reminded her of God's undying love for her and her son. That no matter how alone she felt right now, HE is right there with her with HIS loving arms are wrapped so tightly around them both. I also assured her that what is happening to them is not anyone's fault and as much as we always want someone to blame when things start to get bad, there isn't anyone.

I ended the conversation by telling her that I would be in prayer for them and to please keep me posted on the outcome of his procedure. When we hung up the phone all I could do is cry and think of the emotions this lady (who I never got her name thru all of the tears) and her son must be going through. My heart just ached for them.
So, as I layed in bed the last couple of nights thinking of a way that I might be able to help them. I had to reflect on what was the most helpful to me and my family, what did we benefit the most from? Yes, while  the cards, phone calls, e-mails, visits, meals, etc ..were all extremely heartfelt and encouraging, it was the PRAYERS that pulled me through.

Therefore, I am sending this to you and asking - please weather you know me or never met me, like me or despise me - please take a moment to say a prayer for Austin, his family and the doctors and nurses that will be caring for him.

Prayer is such a powerful tool and when we all unite in our prayers to the Lord, this is where miracle's are born.

Thank you and God Bless,
Jessica Smith
"Continue to strengthen me, Lord and use my life each day, to share your love with others and help them find their way."

No comments:

Post a Comment